Asking a Question

The following services answer questions by phone, internet chat or e-mail. Some provide general information while others are limited to specific topics.

CPLEA Suggested Resources

Not sure where to begin finding answers to your questions. Get started with our suggested resources. See additional resources below for more information.

The Alberta Supports Centres can provide assistance with guardianship and trusteeship applications as well as writing a personal directive and applying for co-decision-making.

Related legal topic(s): Elder abuse, Guardianship and trusteeship, Wills and estates

The Central Alberta Women's Outreach Society provides basic needs and emotional support for individuals as well as providing education and support in specific areas such as domestic violence, family law, and the effects of crisis on families. The Society offers a legal information and referrals program. This program provides legal information and referrals to individuals as they navigate through the legal and judicial system.  Their staff will assist clients to identify legal issues and prioritize legal needs.   

Related legal topic(s): Family violence general resources

This tipsheet is a publication of the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta. It looks at the key differences between providing legal information vs. legal advice.

Related legal topic(s): Self-representation

If you have been charged with an offence, SLS's volunteer law student caseworkers are able to act as your agent (representative) in the Provincial Court of Alberta. SLS caseworkers act under the supervision of advising lawyers. The program can help low income Albertans  SLS provides information on assault, impaired diriving, driver's license suspenstion arrest warrants jaywalking tickets, traffice offences, pardons and criminal record suspension and more...

Related legal topic(s): Arrest, Crimes and offences, Criminal law general resources, Criminal records and pardons, Driving

The Women's Centre of Calgary is an ongoing source of information, support and advocacy. The Centre offers women quick access to emergency food, personal care supplies and bus tickets. It provides referrals to other agencies for food, clothing, furniture, housing, health, employment, education and recreation. The Centre operates a Legal Advice Clinic where volunteer lawyers provide free, half-hour legal advice sessions to women. The clinic is aimed at providing women with the preliminary information and support they may need to access the legal system. Family and other types of law are addressed, but not criminal law.

Related legal topic(s): Family law general resources, Legal services

Alberta Resources

211 is an easy to remember three-digit telephone number that connects callers to a full range of social, health, government and community services (including some legal services). In Alberta, the 211 service is currently (Nov. 2010) being delivered to residents of Calgary, Chestermere, Cochrane, Edmonton, Parkland County, Leduc and Strathcona County.

Related legal topic(s): Legal services

The Resolution and Court Administration Services Division provides administrative support to all the courts within the province, including electronic legal information services through Alberta Law Libraries. Topics in this section of the Alberta Courts website include: Mediation Programs; Family Justice Services; Court Forms and Orders Services (formly known as the Family Law Information Centre (FLIC) and LInC - Law Information Centres); Judgments; Jury Duty; ; Sheriff - Civil Enforcement; Review / Assessment Office; Rules of Court; Transcript Management Services; Publications; Video Conferencing. They also offer: Information services for the public on court procedures and legal services options; assistance with locating and filling out court forms; and referrals to other community legal services, as well as assessment services, dispute resolution services for child support, family and child medication, conflict intervention, family mediation, and civil mediation to help parties who filed an action in small claims court to reach a negotiated settlement.

Related legal topic(s): Civil actions, Courts and court judgments, Legal services, Mediation and alternative dispute resolution, Self-representation, Small claims court

The Alberta Seniors and Community Supports department provides information about financial, health-related, and protective services for seniors. This webpage lists the contact information for regional offices. Or call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre Toll-free in Alberta: 1-877-644-9992, Monday to Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Related legal topic(s): Elder abuse, Health issues, Supportive living and seniors’ housing

Alberta Works helps unemployed people find and keep jobs, employers meet their need for skilled workers,  Albertans with low incomes cover their basic costs of living. They offer services in different ways through: Employment Services, Employment and Career Resources,Training Supports, Alberta Job & Career Fairs.,  Workforce Partnerships, Income Support, and Health Benefits. See also: Information on the Alberta Supports Contact Centres.

Related legal topic(s): Disabilities, Health issues

This webpage describes the types of information that can be provided and offers a web form for submitting a question.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

This webpage provides an instant messaging (chat) window and link to submit a question by e-mail; or you can call 403-220-8895. Reference service is available to the University of Calgary community, to visitors to the University community, and to the Southern Alberta community at large.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

This webpage provides links to ask a question by chat service or e-mail or you can call 780-492-4174.

Related legal topic(s): Law libraries

This service is offered by Alberta Child and Youth Services, Family Violence Prevention Unit. Help is provided in more than 170 languages. If you are looking for advice on supporting bullying prevention, or support to deal with bullying, please call the Bullying Helpline, 1-888-456-2323, toll-free 24/7.

Related legal topic(s): Bullying

The Calgary Chinese Community Service Association is an ethnocultural community service agency. CCSA offers four core programs: Children and Youth, Integration and Civic Engagement (ICE), Health Program, and Legal Program. Their Law and Advocacy Program is funded by the Alberta Law Foundation and provides a range of services including: basic legal information and referrals, Commissioner for Oaths and Notary, a free legal outreach clinic and will and estate documents drafting services.

Related legal topic(s): Advocacy, Citizenship and nationality, Legal services, Multiculturalism, Wills and estates

The Distress Centre offers a main crisis and addictions line as well as specialty phone lines providing crisis intervention and information and referral services 24/7, 365 days a year. Short-term crisis counseling is also available in person. 24 hour Crisis Line 403-266-4357.

Related legal topic(s): Bullying, Child abuse, Relationship violence, Sexual assault, Spousal abuse

For information about Alberta Employment Standards call the province-wide toll-free line 1-877-427-3731 or in the Edmonton calling area dial 780-427-3731. The web page provides a form to submit a question or concern online.

Related legal topic(s): Workers' rights and employment standards

This service offers information about applications for child support, spousal support, child custody and access, and restraining and protection orders. The web page provides locations for walk-in service or you can phone: Edmonton 780-415-0404; Calgary 403-297-6981; Grande Prairie 780-833-4234; Lethbridge 403-388-3102; Red Deer 403-755-1468. For Toll Free access in Alberta dial 310-0000.

Related legal topic(s): Child support, Family law general resources, Legal services, Protective orders, Spousal support

This service is offered by Alberta Child and Youth Services, Family Violence Prevention Unit. Help is provided in more than 170 languages. If you think someone you know is experiencing family violence, reach out by calling the Family Violence Info Line at 310-1818, toll-free 24/7.

Related legal topic(s): Family violence general resources

The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) provides decision-making mechanisms for individuals who are unable to make personal, non-financial decisions for themselves. The OPG does this through the Personal Directives Act, the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Act and the Mental Health Act. The OPG also administers the Personal Directives Registry and the Adult Guardianship and Trusteeship Registry.


Related legal topic(s): Guardianship and trusteeship

The Support Network is located in Edmonton, Alberta, and provides community information services, crisis intervention, and suicide prevention. Its help lines are free, anonymous, confidential, and available every hour, every day. Help is also available in person and online. 24-Hour Distress Line: 780-482-HELP(4357)

Related legal topic(s): Bullying, Child abuse, Elder abuse, Health issues, Relationship violence, Sexual assault, Spousal abuse